I was surfing Google trying to find the perfect blog post topic for today and when I came across this idea, I immediately started thinking of things that I could start writing. That immediately told me, this was it. I feel like this one is super personal and very relatable because I think a lot of us go through similar experiences growing up or have felt the same way about certain things like heartbreak, confidence, friendships and more! So, with that being said, here we go!
Dear Young Emily Elizabeth,
I am writing to you from the new apartment where you’re occasionally looking up to smile at your incredibly sweet boyfriend and feeling extremely thankful for his presence in your life. I know, hearing this is probably going to shock you! Your life is quite different than I think you imagined but is so everything it was meant to be.
- Don’t let the fear of other people’s opinions dictate what you do. Yes, that means that creative beauty Instagram you made and are secretly praying nobody in your life finds it? SHARE IT. Tell people. Trust me, it’s a stepping stone to something much bigger and you should be proud to be stepping outside of your comfort zone. That “book” you’re secretly writing on your laptop every night? Give it to a teacher to read over and check! Who knows where it could have gone. Stop belittling your ideas because you think other people will think it’s stupid. Guess what? They probably will but that doesn’t mean it is! It just means you’re doing something different and that’s okay!
- Sports aren’t everything and being good at them won’t determine your worth. Yes, I know it’s super hard to believe but outside of that small town, it won’t matter if you played varsity or not. I know you feel like you’re an imposter playing sports but instead of being miserable, just enjoy that time with your high school friends because they’re pretty great.
- You know how you think your mom is wrong about the boy you’re with? She’s not. I know it is going to be incredibly painful to acknowledge that she told you so but she did. And she did so WAY early on. Don’t disregard her advice and PLEASE stop ignoring all those red flags. They really couldn’t be any more obvious Emily. Pull yourself up, be strong, and stand up for yourself. Love is not supposed to be a rollercoaster. It’s not supposed to make you feel that way. It’s not supposed to make you cry every night. It’s not supposed to make you feel like worthless. It’s not supposed to lie to you.
- Spend more time with your parents. Please. You won’t believe how much you miss them when you’re away and what you wouldn’t give to hang out with them for a few hours. They rock. Tell them that a little more often!
- You’re not fat no matter how much you think you are. I’m gonna be honest, I kind of want to slap you for how much you think about your weight and the scale. You are the skinniest you’ve ever been so ENJOY it. Trust me, that size small won’t fit you much longer 😉 But for real, you have no reason to be focusing on your weight as much as you do. Stop hating your body and start loving it instead!
- You are much more capable than you give yourself credit for. I can tell you right now that between then and now you have already accomplished SO many things and you shouldn’t be so surprised. You have drive, motivation, creativity, intelligence, and empathy. You can do anything you set your mind to!
This was a fun one guys! I hope this blog post help you reflect on your past and encourages you to do something similar. It was healing to write this and also made me super proud of how far I have come and all that I have overcome. I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I did!